- Catherine Hyams, Clinical Research Fellow in Respiratory Medicine
- Hyams et al. Effectiveness of BNT162b2 and ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 COVID-19 vaccination at preventing hospitalisations in people aged at least 80 years: a test-negative, case-control study. Lancet Infect Diseases, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(21)00330-3
Hyams C, Amin-Chowdhury Z, Fry NK, North P, Finn A, Judge A, Ladhani SN, Williams OM. Streptococcus Pneumoniae septic arthritis in adults in Bristol and Bath, United Kingdom, 2006-2018: a 13-year retrospective observational cohort study. Emerg Microbes Infect. 2021 Dec;10(1):1369-1377. doi: 10.1080/22221751.2021.1945955. PMID: 34151740.
- Daniel Fudulu, ACL in Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Fudulu, D. P., Dimagli, A., Dixon, L., Sandhu, M., Cocomello, L., Angelini, G. D., & Benedetto, U. (2021). Daytime and outcomes after cardiac surgery: Systematic review and metaanalysis, insights from a large UK database review and post-hoc trial analysis. The Lancet Regional Health - Europe, 7, 100140. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lanepe.2021.100140Fudulu, D. P., Horn, G., Hazell, G., Lefrançois-Martinez, A.-M., Martinez, A., Angelini, G. D., Lightman, S. L., & Spiga, F. (2021). Co-culture of monocytes and zona fasciculata adrenal cells: An in vitro model to study the immune-adrenal cross-talk: Immune-adrenal interactions. Molecular and Cellular Endocrinology, 526. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mce.2021.111195
- Emily Hotton, Clinical Research Fellow, THS
Protocol paper outlining the details of an ongoing feasibility study for a novel medical device to assist vaginal birth at Southmead Hospital.Hotton et al. Pilot and Feasibility Studies 2021The Odon Device for assisted vaginal birth: a feasibility study to investigate safety and efficacy - The ASSIST II Study
- Claire Ferraro, ACF in Public Health
- Association between opioid agonist therapy use and HIV testing uptake among people who have recently injected drugs: a systematic review and meta‐analysis. Ferraro, C.F., Stewart, D.E., Grebely, J. et al. Addiction Journal https://doi.org/10.1111/add.15316
- I also wrote a blog for the HPRU: https://hprubse.blogspot.com/2021/02/improving-uptake-of-hiv-testing-among.html
- Richard Armstrong, ACF in Anaesthetics
- Armstrong, R.A., Mouton, R. and Hinchliffe, R.J. (2021), Routinely collected data and patient‐centred research in anaesthesia and peri‐operative care: a narrative review. Anaesthesia. https://doi.org/10.1111/anae.15303
- Armstrong, R.A., Kane, A.D., Kursumovic, E., Oglesby, F.C. and Cook, T.M. (2021), Mortality in patients admitted to intensive care with COVID‐19: an updated systematic review and meta‐analysis of observational studies. Anaesthesia. https://doi.org/10.1111/anae.15425. This was picked up by The Guardian - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/02/covid-mortality-down-dramatically-since-start-of-pandemic-study-finds
- Ben Mulhearn, ACF in Rheumatology
- Clinicoserological features of antisynthetase syndrome (ASyS)-associated interstitial lung disease presenting to respiratory services: comparison with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and ASyS diagnosed in rheumatology services - PubMed (nih.gov)
- Emily Hotton, Clinical Research Fellow, THS
- Hotton EJ, Lenguerrand E, Alvarez M, O’Brien S, Draycott TJ, Crofts JF on behalf of the ASSIST Study Team. Outcomes of the novel Odon Device in indicated operative vaginal birth. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2020.12.017
- Lucy Pocock, NIHR Doctoral Research Fellow
- Goodwin L, Proctor A, Kirby K, Black S, Pocock L, Richardson S, Stonehouse J, Taylor H, Voss S, Benger J. Staff Stakeholder views on the role of UK paramedics in advanced care planning for patients in their last year of life. Progress in Palliative Care. DOI: 10.1080/09699260.2021.1872140
- Sophie James, ACF in Gastroenterology
- Evaluation of urinary chloride dipsticks for the rapid estimation of hydration status in patients receiving artificial nutrition: Feasibility study. Published in 'Clinical Nutrition ESPN'.
- Ben Faber, Clinical Research Fellow, Rheumatology
- "Subregional statistical shape modelling identifies lesser trochanter size as a possible risk factor for radiographic hip osteoarthritis, a cross-sectional analysis from the Osteoporotic Fractures in Men Study." OSTEOARTHRITIS AND CARTILAGE https://www.oarsijournal.com
- Gulraj Matharuj, ACL in Trauma and Orthopaedics
- Clinical Effectiveness and Safety of Aspirin for Venous Thromboembolism Prophylaxis After Total Hip and Knee ReplacementA Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Randomized Clinical Trials.
- Samantha Hayward, ACF In Renal Medicine
- S Hayward, B Hole, R Denholm, P Duncan, JE Morris, SDS Fraser, RA Payne, P Roderick, NC Chesnaye, C Wanner, C Drechsler, M Postorino, G Porto, M Szymczak, M Evans, FW Dekker, KJ Jager, FJ Caskey. International prescribing patterns and polypharmacy in older people with advanced chronic kidney disease: results from the EQUAL Study. Nephrology, Dialysis and Transplantation (in press 2020, and editor’s choice for video presentation).
- Aravind Ramesh, ACF in ICM
- Jan 2020: Beta-blockade in aneurysmal subarachnoid haemorrhage: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Neurocritical Care Jan 2020.
- Abigail Merriel, ACL in Obs and Gyn
- Shakespeare C, Merriel A, Bakhbakhi D, Blencowe H, Boyle FM, Flenady V, Gold K, Horey D, Lynch M, Mills TA, Murphy MM, Storey C, Toolan M, Siassakos D; RESPECT (Research of Evidence based Stillbirth care Principles to Establish global Consensus on respectful Treatment) working group. The RESPECT Study for consensus on global bereavement care after stillbirth. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2020 Feb 3. doi: 10.1002/ijgo.13110. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lissauer D, Cheshire J, Dunlop C, Taki F, Wilson A, Smith JM, Daniels R, Kissoon N, Malata A, Chirwa T, Lwesha VM, Mhango C, Mhango E, Makwenda C, Banda L, Munthali L, Nambiar B, Hussein J, Williams HM, Devall AJ, Gallos I, Merriel A, Bonet M, Souza JP, Coomarasamy A. Development of the FAST-M maternal sepsis bundle for use in low-resource settings: a modified Delphi process. BJOG. 2020 Feb;127(3):416-423. doi: 10.1111/1471-0528.16005. Epub 2019 Dec 5.
- Merriel A, Ficquet J, Barnard K, Kunutsor SK, Soar J, Lenguerrand E, Caldwell DM, Burden C, Winter C, Draycott T, Siassakos D. The effects of interactive training of healthcare providers on the management of life-threatening emergencies in hospital. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2019, Issue 9. Art. No.: CD012177. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD012177.pub2.
- Lissauer D, Wilson A, Hewitt CA, Middleton L, Bishop JRB, Daniels J, Merriel A et al A Randomized Trial of Prophylactic Antibiotics for Miscarriage Surgery. N Engl J Med. 2019 Mar 14;380(11):1012-1021. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1808817.
- Pickering K, Gallos ID, Williams H, Price MJ, Merriel A, Lissauer D, Tobias A, Hofmeyr GJ, Coomarasamy A, Roberts TE. Uterotonic Drugs for the Prevention of Postpartum Haemorrhage: A Cost-Effectiveness Analysis. Pharmacoecon Open. 2019 Jun;3(2):163-176. doi: 10.1007/s41669-018-0108-x.
- Shakespeare C, Merriel A, Bakhbakhi D, Baneszova R, Barnard K, Lynch M, Storey C, Blencowe H, Boyle F, Flenady V, Gold K, Horey D, Mills T, Siassakos D. Parents’ and healthcare professionals’ experiences of care after stillbirth in low and middle‐income countries: a systematic review and metasummary’. BJOG. 2019 Jan;126(1):12-21. doi: 10.1111/1471-0528.15430
- Merriel A, Hussein J, Malata A, Coomarasamy A, Larkin M. Learning from the experience of maternity healthcare workers in Malawi: a qualitative study leading to ten low-cost recommendations to improve working lives and quality of care. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 2018;18:336
- Gallos ID, Williams HM, Price MJ, Merriel A, Gee H, Lissauer D, Moorthy V, Tobias A, Deeks JJ, Widmer M, Tunçalp Ö, Gülmezoglu AM, Hofmeyr GJ, Coomarasamy A. Uterotonic agents for preventing postpartum haemorrhage: a network meta-analysis. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018;4:CD011689. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD011689.pub2. Review.
- Lissauer D, Wilson A, Daniels J, Middleton L, Bishop J, Hewitt C, Merriel A, Weeks A, Mhango C, Mataya R, Taulo F, Ngalawesa T, Chirwa A, Mphasa C, Tambala T, Chiudzu G, Mwalwanda C, Mboma A, Qureshi R, Ahmed I, Ismail H, Gulmezoglu M, Oladapo OT, Mbaruku G, Chibwana J, Watts G, Simon B, Ditai J, Tom CO, Acam JF, Ekunait J, Uniza H, Iyaku M, Anyango M, Zamora J, Roberts T, Goranitis I, Desmond N, Coomarasamy A. Prophylactic antibiotics to reduce pelvic infection in women having miscarriage surgery - The AIMS (Antibiotics in Miscarriage Surgery) trial: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial.
Trials. 2018;19(1):245. doi: 10.1186/s13063-018-2598-3. Merriel A, Murove BT, Merriel SWD, Sibanda T, Moyo S, Crofts J. ‘Implementation of a modified obstetric early warning system to improve the quality of obstetric care in Zimbabwe’ International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics 2017;136(2): 175-179
- Helen Bould, CAT Associate in Primary Care
Helen Bould, Paul Moran, Becky Mars, Lucy Biddle, David Gunnell. “Rising rates of suicide in adolescents in England and Wales”, The Lancet 2019 394, Issue 10193 p116-117
- Sarah Westbury, ACL in Haematology
Monoallelic loss of function variants in THPO cause heritable thrombocytopenia - Cornish N, Aungraheeta R, FitzGibbon L, Burley K, Alibhai D, Collins J, Greene D, NIHR BioResource, Westbury S, Turro E, Mumford A Blood Advances, accepted, in press.
Next-generation sequencing for the diagnosis of MYH9-RD: Predicting pathogenic variants. Bury L, Megy K, Stephens JC, Grassi L, Greene D, Gleadall N, Althaus K, Allsup D, Bariana TK, Bonduel M, Butta NV, Collins P, Curry N, Deevi SVV, Downes K, Duarte D, Elliott K, Falcinelli E, Furie B, Keeling D, Lambert MP, Linger R, Mangles S, Mapeta R, Millar CM, Penkett C, Perry DJ, Stirrups KE, Turro E, Westbury SK, Wu J, BioResource N, Gomez K, Freson K, Ouwehand WH, Gresele P, Simeoni I. Hum Mutat. 2020 Jan;41(1):277-290. doi: 10.1002/humu.23927. Epub 2019 Oct 15.
Genetic Techniques Used in the Diagnosis of Inherited Platelet Disorders. Mumford AD, Westbury SK. Semin Thromb Hemost. 2019 Oct;45(7):685-694. doi: 10.1055/s-0039-1687888. Epub 2019 Apr 30.
Inherited missense variants that affect GFI1B function do not necessarily cause bleeding diatheses. van Oorschot R, Marneth AE, Bergevoet SM, van Bergen MGJM, Peerlinck K, Lentaigne CE, Millar CM, Westbury SK, Favier R, Erber WN, Turro E, Jansen JH, Ouwehand WH, McKinney HL; NIHR BioResource Collaborative Group, Downes K, Freson K, van der Reijden BA. Haematologica. 2019 Jun;104(6):e260-e264. doi: 10.3324/haematol.2018.207712. Epub 2018 Dec 20.
- Maya Kohli-Lynch, ACF in Paediatrics
- Milner KM, Bhopal S, Black M, Dua T, Gladstone M, Hamadani J, Hughes R, Kohli-Lynch M et al. Counting outcomes, coverage and quality for early child development programmes. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2019;104:S13-S21. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/archdischild-2018-315430
- Milner KM, Bernal Salazar R, Bhopal S, Brentani A, Britto P, Dua T, Gladstone M, Goh E, Hamadani J, Hughes R, Kirkwood B, Kohli-Lynch M et al. Contextual design choices and partnerships for scaling early child development programmes. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2019;104:S3-S12. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/archdischild-2018-315433
- Kohli-Lynch M, Tann CJ, Ellis, ME. Early Intervention for Children at High Risk of Developmental Disability in Low- and Middle-Income Countries: A Narrative Review. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health Nov 2019, 16, 4449. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16224449
Kushala Abeysekera, CAT Associate - Gastroenterology
The first paper of my thesis was published in The Lancet Gastroenterology & Hepatology (Abeysekera KWM, Fernandes GS, Hammerton G, Portal AJ, Gordon FH, Heron J, Hickman M. Prevalence of steatosis and fibrosis in young adults in the UK: a population-based study. The Lancet Gastroenterology & Hepatology. 2020 Jan 15.)
- Ben Faber, CAT Associate - Rheumatology
BG Faber, M Frysz, JH Tobias. Unpicking observational relationships between hip shape and osteoarthritis: hype or hope? Current Opinion in Rheumatology 2020 Jan;32(1):110-118. PMID 31644466
BG Faber, D Baird, CL Gregson, JS Gregory, RJ Barr, RM Aspden, J Lynch, MC Nevitt, NE Lane, E Orwoll, JH Tobias. DXA-derived hip shape is related to osteoarthritis: findings from in the MrOS cohort. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 2017 25(17) 2031-2038 PMID:28942368
D Baird, D Evans, F Kamanu, J Gregory, F Saunders, C Giuraniuc, R Barr, R Aspden, D Jenkins, D Kiel, E Orwoll, S Cummings, N Lane, B Mullin, F Williams, JB Richards, S Wilson, T Spector, B Faber, D Lawlor, E Grundberg, C Ohlsson, U Pettersson-Kymmer, T Capellini, D Richard, T Beck, D Evans, L Paternoster, D Karasik, J Tobias. Identification of novel loci associated with hip shape: a meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 2019 Feb;34(2):241-251. PMID:30320955
D Baird, L Paternoster, J Gregory, BG Faber, F Saunders, C Giuraniuc, R Barr, D Lawlor, R Aspden, J Tobias. Investigation of the relationship between susceptibility loci for hip osteoarthritis and DXA-derived hip shape in a population-based cohort of peri-menopausal women. Arthritis and Rheumatology 2018 70(12):1984-1993 PMID:29882636
- Peter Edwards, ACF in Primary Care
Edwards PJ, et al. Safety-netting in routine primary care consultations: an observational study using video-recorded UK consultations. Br J Gen Pract. 2019
Edwards PJ, et al. Development of a tool for coding safety-netting behaviours in primary care: a mixed-methods study using existing UK consultation recordings. Br J Gen Pract. 2019
Edwards PJ, et al. How to pass the emergency OSCE station. BMJ 2019; 367:l2414
- Tim Robinson, ACL in Oncology
Robinson T, Martin R, Yarmolinsky J (2019). Mendelian Randomization Analysis of Circulating Adipokines and C-reactive Protein on Breast Cancer Risk. Depositied to Biorvix in Aug 2019 (DOI: 10.1101/720110). Revisions pending to IJC.
- Papadimitriou N, Dimou N, Tsilidis K, Banbury B, Martin R, Lewis S, Kazmi N, Robinson T et al (2019) Physical activity and risks of breast and colorectal cancer: A Mendelian Randomization analysis, Accepted Nature Communications.
- Catherine Hyams, ACF in Respiratory Medicine, has had an article published in ERJ Open entitled 'Urinary antigen testing for pneumococcal pneumonia:, is there evidence to make its use uncommon in clinical practice?
- Harry Haynes, StR Cellular Pathology and Lecturer Translational Health Sciences has published more of his PhD data
- Alexander Hamilton, CL in Renal Medicine
- Daniel Fudulu, ACF in Cardithoracic Surgery.
- Frontiers in Pediatrics - Corticosteroids in Pediatric Heart Surgery: Myth or Reality
- Rahul Bhatnagar, ACL in Respiratory Medicine. New England Journal of Medicine Outpatient Talc Administration by Indwelling Pleural Catheter for Malignant Effusion
Harry Haynes, StR Cellular Pathology and Lecturer Translational Health Sciences has published more of his PhD data: Evaluation of the quality of RNA extracted from archival FFPE glioblastoma and epilepsy surgical samples for gene expression assays. And has collaborated to produce a molecular pathology testing guidance document: HER2 testing of gastro-oesophageal adenocarcinoma: a commentary and guidance document from the Association of Clinical Pathologists Molecular Pathology and Diagnostics Committee. And is a co-author on this paper: Bone marrow transplantation stimulates neural repair in Friedreich's ataxia mice.
- Sam Merriel, ACF in General Practice. 'Knowledge and attitudes of general practitioners and sexual health care professionals regarding human papillomavirus vaccination for young men-who-have-sex-with-men’ SWD Merriel, C Flannagan, JM Kesten, GK Shapiro, T Nadarzynski, G Prue Int J Environ Res Public Health 2018, 15, 151; doi:10.3390/ijerph1501051
- Maya Kohli-Lynch, ACF in Paediatrics. Oxford Academic CID - The Burden of Group B Streptococcus Worldwide for Pregnant Women, Stillbirths, and Children
- Sam Merriel, ACF in General Practice. BMJ Open - Cross-sectional study evaluating data quality of the National Cancer Registration and Analysis Service (NCRAS) prostate cancer registry data using the Cluster randomised trial of PSA testing for Prostate cancer (CAP)
- Ian Bennett-Britton, ACF in Primary Care. Journal of Epidemiology and Public Health: Changes in marital quality over 6 years and its association with cardiovascular disease risk factors in men: findings from the ALSPAC prospective cohort
- Richard Ibitoye, ACF in Neurology -
Publication (related to ACF research): R Ibitoye, K Kemp, C Rice, K Hares, N Scolding, A Wilkins. Oxidative stress-related biomarkers in multiple sclerosis: a review. Biomarkers in Medicine (2016); 10(8):889-902; doi:10.2217/bmm-2016-0097.
Other publications during ACF:
RT Ibitoye, A Wilkins, NJ Scolding. Neurosarcoidosis: a clinical approach to diagnosis and management. Journal of Neurology (2016). doi:10.1007/s00415-016-8336-4.
RT Ibitoye, SA Renowden, HJ Faulkner, NJ Scolding, CM Rice. Ovarioleukodystrophy due to EIF2B5 mutations. Practical Neurology (2016); 16:596-499; doi:10.1136/practneurol-2016-001382.
- Stephen O'Brien, Clinical Research Fellow in Obstetrics & Gynaecology -
- Design and development of the BD Odon Device: a human factors evaluation process. O'brien, S., Mouser, A., Odon, J., Winter, C., Draycott, T., Sumitro, T., Alisantoso, D., Lim, W. L., Merialdi, M., Stankovic, A. & Crofts, J. 20 Jul 2017 In : BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Contribution to journal › Article
- Fetal head position and perineal distension associated with the use of the BD Odon Device in operative vaginal birth: a simulation study O'brien, S., Winter, C., Burden, C., Boulvain, M., Draycott, T. & Crofts, J. 20 Jul 2017 In : BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. Contribution to journal › Article
- Pressure and traction of a model fetal head and neck associated with the use of forceps, Kiwi ventouse and the BD Odon Device in operative vaginal birth: a simulation study O'brien, S., Winter, C., Burden, C., Boulvain, M., Draycott, T. & Crofts, J. 20 Jul 2017 In : BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology.
- Amardeep Ghosh Dastidar, SpR Cardiology - NCBI PUBMED
- Harry Haynes, Clinical Research Fellow at UoB and StR Cellular Pathology, North Bristol NHS Trust, has had a paper from the early part of his PhD research published recently.
- Charlotte Lea, ACF in Paediatrics - Protecting the premature brain: current evidence-based strategies for minimising perinatal brain injury in preterm infants has just been published by Archives of Disease in Childhood - Fetal and Neonatal Edition. Access it here.
- Many congratulations to Amy Alice Carson and Prianka Padmanathan, two of last years Academic Foundation doctors in Bristol, both of whom are intent in pursuing an academic career, on their paper in the BMJ. Is this a watershed moment for women in academic medicine?
- Kyla Thomas, CL in Public Health Medicine. Addiction Editorial - The FDA and Varenicline: should risk communication be improved? Authors Neil M Davies and Kyla H Thomas - Link to UoB press release . Kyla also has an Opinion Piece in the Guardian 21.09.16. linked to this.
- Sam Merriel, ACF in Primary Care
- SWD Merriel, R Carroll, F Hamilton, W Hamilton Family Practice 2016 doi: 10.1093/fampra/cmw051. ‘Association between unexplained hypoalbuminaemia and new cancer diagnoses in UK primary care patients’
- SWD Merriel, C Salisbury, C Metcalfe, M Ridd British Journal of General Practice 2015 Aug;65(637):e545-51. doi: 10.3399/bjgp15X686125. ‘Depth of the patient-doctor relationship and content of general practice consultations: cross-sectional survey’
- SWD Merriel Innovait doi: 10.1177/1755738015575037. ‘Critically appraising the evidence'
- SWD Merriel, V Andrews, C Salisbury; Preventive Medicine, 2014 July; 64C 88-95 doi: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2014.04.001. Epub 2014 Apr 12. ‘Telehealth interventions for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis’
- Jess Watson, ACF in Primary Care
- Watson J, Salisbury C, Atherton H, Campbell J, McKinstry B, Ziebland S et al. Proliferation of private online healthcare companies BMJ 2016; 352 :i1076 http://www.bmj.com/content/352/bmj.i1076
Watson J, de Salis I, Hamilton W, Salisbury C. ‘I’m fishing really’ — inflammatory marker testing in primary care: a qualitative study Br J Gen Pract Feb 2016, DOI: 10.3399/bjgp16X683857 http://bjgp.org/content/early/2016/02/09/bjgp16X683857
Pippa Bailey, CAT Associate Member
Bailey PK, Ben-Shlomo Y, Tomson C, Owen-Smith A. Socioeconomic Deprivation and Perceived Barriers to Live-Donor Kidney Transplantation: a Qualitative Study of Deceased-Donor Renal Transplant Recipients. BMJ Open 2015
Bailey PK, Ben-Shlomo Y, de Salis I, Tomson C, Owen-Smith A. Better the Donor You Know? A Qualitative Study of Renal Patients’ Views on 'Altruistic' Live-Donor Kidney Transplantation. Soc Sci Med. 2016 Feb;150:104-111.
Johannes von Vopelius Feldt, CAT Associate Member - The impact of a prehospital critical care team on survival from out-of-hospital cardiac arrest' published in Resuscitation
Ellen Nelissen, ACF in O&G, had a paper accepted in August 2015 in BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth, titled Helping Mothers Survive Bleeding After Birth: retention of knowledge, skills, and confidence nine months after obstetric simulation-based training.
Catherine Pennington, CL in Neurology
Pract Neurol. 2015 Dec;15(6):436-44. doi: 10.1136/practneurol-2015-001127. Epub 2015 Aug 13. Functional cognitive disorder: what is it and what to do about it? Pennington C1, Newson M1, Hayre A2, Coulthard E1. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26271265
J Alzheimers Dis. 2015 Sep 24;48 Suppl 1:S19-24. doi: 10.3233/JAD-150182. Functional Cognitive Disorder: A Common Cause of Subjective Cognitive Symptoms.Pennington C1,2, Hayre A1, Newson M1,2, Coulthard E1,2 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26402086
Christy Burden, NIHR Clinical lecturer in O&G, led a systematic review of 144 studies of bereavement care for the Lancet Ending Preventable Stillbirth Series. The study had central stage in paper 3 of the Lancet Series (http://press.thelancet.com/Stillbirths3.pdf) with Christy co-author, and was also published in full in a linked BMC Stillbirth series with Christy as first author. Christy is now working with her supervisor (Dr Siassakos) and the Lancet authors to translate this research and further work into global impact, to end preventable harm.
Colin Chu, CL in Ophthalmology,
Chu CJ, Johnston RL, Buscombe C, Sallam AB, Mohamed Q, Yang YC; United Kingdom Pseudophakic Macular Edema Study Group. Risk Factors and Incidence of Macular Edema after Cataract Surgery: A Database Study of 81984 Eyes. Ophthalmology. 2016 Feb;123(2):316-23. doi: 10.1016/j.ophtha.2015.10.001. Epub 2015 Dec 8. PubMed PMID: 26681390.
Chu CJ, Gardner PJ, Copland DA, Liyanage SE, Gonzalez-Cordero A, Kleine Holthaus SM, Luhmann U, Smith AJ, Ali RR, Dick AD. Multimodal analysis of ocular inflammation using endotoxin-induced uveitis. Dis Model Mech. 2016 Jan 21. pii: dmm.022475. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26794131.
James Dodd, CL in Respiratory.
Invisible suffering: breathlessness in and beyond the clinic. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine, Volume 3, Issue 4, April 2015, Pages 278-279. Havi Carel, Jane Macnaughton, James Dodd
Executive Function, Survival and Hospitalisation in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: A Longitudinal Analysis of the National Emphysema Treatment Trial (NETT) James W Dodd, Paul Novotny, Frank C Sciurba, Roberto P Benzo, and for the NETT Research Group. Annals ATS. First published online 19 Aug 2015 as DOI: 10.1513/AnnalsATS.201506-373OC.
Remote Pulmonary Function Testing using a Depth Sensor. Vahid Soleimani, Majid Mirmehdi, Dima Damen, Sion Hannuna, Massimo Camplani. Jason Vinery and James Dodd. IEEE Biomedical Circuits and Systems Conference 2015. Visual Information Laboratory, Faculty of Engineering, & Academic Respiratory Unit University of Bristol.
- Alexandra Creavin, ACF in Ophthalmology. Pediatrics: Ophthalmic abnormalities and reading impairment. This work has also been accepted for presentation at the European Society of Ophthalmology meeting in Vienna in June 2015.
- Amelia Stockley, Medical professionalism in the formal curriculum: 5th year medical students¿ experiences Amelia J Stockley and Karen Forbes BMC Medical Education 2014, 14:259 (30 November 2014) http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6920/14/259 DOI: 10.1186/s12909-014-0259-0
- Adam Smith-Collins, CL in Paedriatrics. Smith-Collins AP1, Luyt K, Heep A, Kauppinen RA. (2015) High frequency functional brain networks in neonates revealed by rapid acquisition resting state fMRI. Human Brain Mapping; March 2015 doi: 10.1002/hbm.22786
- Kyla Thomas, , CL in Public Health Medicine, Richard M Martin, professor of clinical epidemiology, Duleeka W Knipe, Wellcome Trust PhD student, Julian P T Higgins, professor of evidence synthesis, David Gunnell, professor of epidemiology Risk of neuropsychiatric adverse events associated with varenicline: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ 2015;350:h1109
- James Dodd, CL in Respiratory Medicine. MS: 1235709797126539 Title: Lung disease as a determinant of cognitive decline and dementia published in Alzheimer's Research & Therapy
- Pippa Bailey, former ACF in Renal Medicine, Tomson C, Risdale S, Ben-Shlomo Y. From potential donor to actual donation: does socio-economic position affect living kidney donation? A systematic review of the evidence. Transplantation 2014 Nov 15; 98(9):918-26
- Sam Merriel, ACF in Primary Care: has had a paper published in the July 2014 edition of 'Preventive Medicine'
- Shabnum Ali: S Ali, N. Patel &S. Challacombe. A retrospective analysis of post-operative outcomes in a series of 108 labial gland biopsies. Oral Surgery April 2014.
- Shabnum Ali: Ali, S. Vassiliou, L. and Stenhouse, P. (2014) Plexiform Schwannoma: A Report of Two Unusual Cases, and a Review of the Literature. Open Journal of Stomatology, 4, 174-178. doi: 10.4236/ojst.2014.44026.
- Shabnum Ali: Publication of abstract entitled entitled “Correlation between ultrasound imaging of major salivary glands and histopathological findings of labial gland biopsy samples in Sjogren's syndrome” in the The Lancet, Volume 381, Page S19, 27 February 2013 doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(13)60459-6
- Lei Liu: Z Dang, L Kuffová, L Liu, JV Forrester. Soluble antigen traffics rapidly and selectively from the corneal surface to the eye draining lymph node and activates T cells when codelivered with CpG oligonucleotides. J Leukoc Biol. 2014 Mar;95(3):431-40.
- Lei Liu: R Susarla (first author), L Liu (first author), E A Walker, I J. Bujalska, Jr Al-Salem, G P Williams, S Sreekantam, A E. Taylor, M Tallouzi, H. S Southwood, P I. Murray, G R. Wallace, and S Rauz. Cortisol Biosynthesis in the Human Ocular Surface Innate Immune Response. PLoS One. 2014 Apr 15;9(4):e94913.
- Lei Liu: J Wu, H Cui, A Dick, L Liu. TLR9 agonist regulates angiogenesis and inhibits corneal neovascularization. Am J Pathol. 2014 Apr 10. pii: S0002-9440(14)00178-3.
- Mary Thompson, ACF in Public Health, has had a paper published in the British Medical Journal ( open): Suitability of emergency department attenders to be assessed in primary care: survey of general practitioner agreement in a random sample of triage records analysed in a service evaluation project.
- Jess Watson: Hall JA, Pettigrew L, Malik ANJ, Watson J, Topiwala A, McGregor L, Ramsay R. Fit for the future? The place of global health in the UK's postgraduate medical training: a review. JRSM short reports 03/2013; 4(3):19. DOI:10.1177/2042533313476421
- Jess Watson: Hall J, Brown CS, Pettigrew L, Malik ANJ, Watson J, Topiwala A, McGregor L, Ramsay R. Global health in UK postgratuade medical training. The Lancet 08/2012; 380(9843):728-9. DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(12)61404-4
- Jess Watson: Watson J, Round A, Hamilton W. Raised inflammatory markers. BMJ 01/2012; 344:e454.
- Jess Watson: Watson J, Shiner A, Pettigrew LM, Irving G. Global Health: Time for full integration into GP training. British Journal of General Practice 05/2013; 63(610):271-2. DOI:10.3399/bjgp13X667358
- Philip Hamann: Hamann PD, Cooper RG, McHugh NJ, Chinoy H. Statin-induced necrotizing myositis - a discrete autoimmune entity within the "statin-induced myopathy spectrum".Autoimmun Rev. 2013 Oct;12(12):1177-81. doi: 10.1016/j.autrev.2013.07.001. Epub 2013 Jul 11.
- Philip Hamann: Philip Hamann, Neil McHugh. Autoimmune serology in rheumatology, (Oxford Textbook of Rheumatology 4th Edition chapter, Published 31st Oct 2013)
- Philip Hamann: Philip Hamann, Raj Sengupta. Back to the future – the diagnosis and management of back pain in primary care (GP Clinical Focus – in press)
- Philip Hamann: Abstract and Oral Presentation at EULAR 2013, Madrid. Hamann P, Heward J, McHugh N, Lindsay M. Next Generation Sequencing Analysis of the Transcriptome in Muscle Obtained From Anti-Jo 1 Positive Idiopathic Inflammatory Myositis and Inclusion Body Myositis: a Pilot Study. Ann. Rheum. Dis. [Internet]. Madrid; 2013. Available from: http://www.abstracts2view.com/eular/view.php?nu=EULAR13L_OP0139
- Philip Hamann: Abstract and Oral Presentation At BSR 2013, Birmingham. Hamann P, Heward J, McHugh N, Lindsay MA. Oral Abstracts: A Pilot Study Evaluating RNA Transcription Profiles in Idiopathic Inflammatory and Inclusion Body Myositis: a Next Generation Sequencing Approach. Rheumatology. 2013 Jan 1;52(suppl 1):i44–i55.
- Philip Hamann: Abstract and Poster at Clinician Scientists in Training, Spring Meeting, 2013. Hamann P, Lindsay M, McHugh N, Heward J. Next generation sequencing of RNA from muscle biopsies shows marked differences between inflammatory myositis, inclusion body myositis, and controls. The Lancet. Elsevier Ltd; 2013 Feb 27;381(S1):S46.
- Amy Green: Green, A, O’Shea, J, Kaul, A, Sharma, E, Nutt, DJ, Donaldson, L, Melichar, Sweet taste changes in chronic opiate use. J. Journal of Psychopharmacology 2013. 27 (3) 265-275.
- Amy Green: Green A, Parker R, Williams T. A novel scoring tool to assess risk of Wernicke’s Encephalopathy in alcohol dependent patients. Alcoholism Clinical and Experimental Research 2013. 37 (5) 885-889.
- Amy Green: Green A, Verma G, Maxwell P. Prescribing Methylphenidate for adult ADHD in pregnancy and lactation; a systematic review and case report Bolea B, British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology 2013. Apr 18.
- Natalie Blencowe: had a letter published in the BMJ (not a full publication) - relating to my PhD. http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f6143.pdf%2Bhtml
- Rachel Dommett: Dommett RM, Redaniel MT, Stevens MC, Hamilton W, Martin RM. Features of cancer in teenagers and young adults in primary care: a population-based nested case-control study. Br J Cancer. 2013 Jun 11;108(11):2329-33. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2013.191. Epub 2013 Apr 25. PubMed PMID: 23619924; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3681013.
- Rachel Dommett: Wilne SH, Dineen RA, Dommett RM, Chu TP, Walker DA. Identifying brain tumours in children and young adults. BMJ. 2013 Oct 9;347:f5844. doi: 10.1136/bmj.f5844. PubMed PMID: 24108155.
- Rachel Dommett: Fern LA, Birch R, Whelan J, Cooke M, Sutton S, Neal RD, Gerrand C, Hubbard G, Smith S, Lethaby C, Dommett R, Gibson F. Why can't we improve the timeliness of cancer diagnosis in children, teenagers, and young adults? BMJ. 2013 Oct. 29;347:f6493. doi: 10.1136/bmj.f6493. PubMed PMID: 24170036.
- Johannes Von Vopelius: Author(s): von Vopelius-Feldt, Johannes; Benger, Jonathan R. Published: Title: Prehospital anaesthesia by a physician and paramedic critical care team in Southwest England.Source: European journal of emergency medicine : official journal of the European Society for Emergency Medicine Volume: 20 Issue: 6 Pages: 382-6 DOI: 10.1097/MEJ.0b013e32835b08b7 Published: 2013-Dec
- Johannes Von Vopelius: Johannes von Vopelius-Feldt, Jonathan Benger. Published online first:Who does what in prehospital critical care? An analysis of competencies of paramedics, critical care paramedics and prehospital physicians. Emerg Med J Published Online First doi:10.1136/emermed-2013-202895
- Johannes Von Vopelius: Johannes von Vopelius-Feldt, John Wood and Jonathan Benger. Published online first: Critical care paramedics: where is the evidence? a systematic review. Emerg Med J published online September 26, 2013. doi: 10.1136/emermed-2013-202721. Accepted: Johannes von Vopelius-Feldt and Jonathan Benger. Critical care paramedics in England: a national survey of ambulance services. European Journal of Emergency Medicine 2013, 00:000–000 Received 21 May 2013 Accepted 5 September 2013
- Jo Crofts: JF Crofts, R Fox, TJ Draycott, C Winter, LP Hunt, VA AkandeRetention of factual knowledge after practical training for intrapartum emergencies. International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics 123 (1), 81-85 2013
- Jo Crofts: A Smith, D Siassakos, J Crofts, T Draycott. Simulation: Improving patient outcomes. Seminars in perinatology 37 (3), 151-156. 2013
- Jo Crofts: S Newell, J Crofts, S Grant. Complications of incarceration of the retroverted gravid uterus. BJOG-AN INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF OBSTETRICS AND GYNAECOLOGY 120, 48-48. 2013
- Jo Crofts: JF Crofts, G Bentham, S Tawfik, H Claireaux, T Draycott. Can accurate training and management for shoulder dystocia prevent all permanent brachial plexus injuries? BJOG-AN INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF OBSTETRICS AND GYNAECOLOGY 120, 412-412
- Jo Crofts: S Coleridge, J Crofts, T Draycott, S Edwards. W389 DEVELOPMENT OF SIMULATION TEACHING FOR THE MANAGEMENT OF MATERNAL SEPSIS. International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics 119, S831. 2013
- Jo Crofts: S Edwards, S Platt, J Crofts, T Draycott, J Mears. O208 DO MEDICAL STUDENTS ACQUIRE ADEQUATE BASIC GYNAECOLOGY EXAMINATION SKILLS DURING AN 8-WEEK CLINICAL ATTACHMENT? International Journal of Gynecology & Obstetrics 119, S333, 2012
- Jo Crofts: D Siassakos, K Bristowe, TJ Draycott, J Angouri, H Hambly, C Winter, JF ... Clinical Efficiency in a Simulated Emergency and Relationship to Team Behaviors: A Multisite Cross-sectional Study. Obstetric Anesthesia Digest 32 (1), 41. 2012
- Amelia Holme: Holme A, Blair P, Emond A. Psychosocial and Educational Outcomes of Weight Faltering in Infancy in ALSPAC. BMJ Open 2013 Jul 4;3(7).
- Amelia Holme, Jennifer A. Hurcombe, Anna Straatman-Iwanowska, Carol I. Inward, Paul Gissen, and Richard J Coward. Glomerular involvement in the arthrogryposis, renal dysfunction and cholestasis syndrome. Clinical Kidney Journal: 2013; 6 (2): 183-188.
- Pippa Bailey: Bailey PK, Tomson, CR, Kinra S, Ebrahim S, Radhakrishna K, Kuper H, Nitsch D, Ben-Shlomo Y. 'From potential donor to actual donation: how does socio-economic deprivation affect the recruitment and progression of living kidney donors? A quantitative-qualitative mixed-methods observational study.' BMC Nephrol. 2013 Oct 31; 14(1): 240
- Claire Rice: CL in Neurology, for her recent publications "Accumulation of cortical hyperphosphorylated neurofilaments as a marker of neurodegeneration in multiple sclerosis" Gray E, Rice C, Nightingale H, Ginty M, Hares K, Kemp K, Cohen N, Love S, Scolding N and Wilkins A, Multiple Sclerosis Journal – epub ahead of press and "Human mesenchymal stem cells increase anti-oxidant defences in cells derived from patients" with Friedreich Ataxia Dey, R, Kemp K, Gray E, Rice C, Scolding N and Wilkins A Cerebellum (2012) 11(4):861-71. Claire has also had "Disease modification in multiple sclerosis – an update" , Rice CM. Practical Neurology (2013) – accepted for Practical Neurology - in press.
- Philip Hamann: Hamann PD, Cooper RG, McHugh NJ, Chinoy H. Statin-induced necrotizing myositis - A discrete autoimmune entity within the "statin-induced myopathy spectrum". Autoimmun Rev. 2013 Jul 11. pii: S1568-9972(13)00124-9. doi: 10.1016/j.autrev.2013.07.001. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hannah Kate Williams: Hannah Kate Williams, Pamela J Taylor, Julian Walker, Gemma Plant, Anna Kissell and Amy Hammond. "Subjective experience of early imprisonment". International Journal of Law and Psychiatry. 2013.
- Amy Green: Opiate agonists and antagonists modulate taste perception in opiate-maintained and recently detoxified subjects. Amy Green, Arun Kaul, Jacinta O'Shea, Ekta Sharma,Lisa Bennett, Emma L Mullings, Marcus R Munafò,David J Nutt1, Jan K Melichar1, and Lucy F Donaldson. 2013. Journal of Psychopharmacology 27(3)265-275.
- Claire Rice: Neurological rarity: spontaneous intracranial hypotension and venous sinus thrombosis Rice CM, Renowden SA, Sandeman DR and Cottrell DA Practical Neurology (2013) 13:120-124
- Claire Rice: Primary progressive multiple sclerosis: progress and challenges. Rice CM, Cottrell D, Wilkins A, Scolding NJ. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2013 Feb 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Phillipa Bailey: Bailey PK, Tomson CR, Ben-Shlomo Y. Study of Living Kidney Donor-Recipient Relationships: variation with socio-economic deprivation in the white population of England. Clinical Transplantation. Accepted for publication Feb 2013
- Simon Thornton: A literature review of the long case and its variants as a method of assessment Thornton, S Education in Medicine, 2012 4(1): 5-14
- Simon Thornton: Outcome of kidney transplantation from elderly donors after cardiac death Thornton, S. Hamilton, N. Evans, D. Fleming, T. Clarke, E. Morgan, J. Kadi, N.Transplantation Proceedings, 2011, 43: 3686-3689
- Rachel Dommett: Dommett RM, Redaniel T, Stevens MC, Martin RM, Hamilton W. Risk of childhood cancer with symptoms in primary care: a population-based case-control study. Br J Gen Pract. 2013 Jan;63(606):22-9. doi: 10.3399/bjgp13X660742.
- Rachel Dommett: Dommett RM, Redaniel MT, Stevens MC, Hamilton W, Martin RM. Features of childhood cancer in primary care: a population-based nested case-control study. Br J Cancer. 2012 Feb 28;106(5):982-7. doi: 10.1038/bjc.2011.600.
- Julia Blackburn: Mansell JP andBlackburn J, Lysophosphatidic acid, human osteoblast formation, maturation and the role of 1α,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 (calcitriol), Biochim Biophys Acta (2013) 1831:105-8 Review
- Julia Blackburn: Blackburn J and Mansell JP, The Emerging role of lysophosphatidic acid (LPA) in skeletal biology, Bone (2012) 50(3) 756-62 Review
- Julia Blackburn: Blackburn J,Qureshi A, Amirfeyz R, Bannister G Does Preoperative Anxiety And Depression Predict Satisfaction After Total Knee Replacement? The Knee (2012) 19:522-524
- Phillipa Bailey: Bailey P, Tomson C, Radhakrishna KV, Kinra S, Ebrahim S, Kuper H, Nitsch D, Ben-Shlomo Y Differences in estimation of creatinine generation between renal function estimating equations in an Indian population: cross-sectional data from the Hyderabad arm of the Indian Migration Study BMC Nephrology - accepted February 2013 Online publication - full publication pending
- Phillipa Bailey: Bailey P Vancomycin therapy in patients on high-flux haemodialysis: a single-centre experience British Journal of Renal Medicine - accepted 29th October 2012 - awaiting publication.